Saturday 22 September 2012

STYLEPOT


When you think about cooking from a recipe, what comes to your mind? Do you instantly think of a homely chef like Nigella Lawson and recipes with ingredients far out of your budget? That's why Ellie Mac's blog stylepot is a go-to website for scrumptious recipes that taste as good as they look. She's all about utilising ingredients that are readily available and providing recipes to suit the season and climate.

When did your blog stylepot begin?
stylepot began in February of this year as a place for me just to compile my favourite recipes and share them with friends. A couple of years ago I tried to start blogging but I kept losing interest and didn't think much of it. But then, with stylepot, I developed a clear idea of what I wanted to do and be, and I had a real drive to make it an ongoing project.

What inspired you to come up with the concept?
I remember just cooking so much over the Christmas holidays, and people were always commenting on what I made, so I figured I need a place to share this! As an up-and-coming writer, I also wanted to start writing for an audience on a regular basis.


How did your love of cooking evolve?
Oh gosh, this is going back a while! I remember picking beans, corn, carrots and strawberries from my Nan's garden when I was younger and that was always just so exciting to me. (It still is). When I was in grade 5, my Mum helped me write a cookbook, complete in the plastic pockets of an arch-binder. Family members and friends still tell me that they use it!

When you're not cooking up delicious recipes, what do you do in your free time?
When I am not cooking (or maintaining and posting on stylepot), I like to go strawberry picking, read, write or take a day trip somewhere wonderful!


What's your favourite spring recipe?
Spring is a great season because it's still cold enough most nights to enjoy warm, winter meals like soups and puddings. I love a good risotto for dinner but, on warmer days, I can't resist a simple salad of tomatoes and goat's cheese, served with thick slices of crusty bread.

Is there any particular music you listen to when cooking?
No, not really. Sometimes I'll flick the TV on just for background noise but I'm usually in my own little world, just thinking and enjoying cooking.


Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years time?
Besides running stylepot, I am keen to get into food media, preferably magazines, doing some writing, food styling, workshops... anything and everything really!


Check out stylepot at http://stylepot.blogspot.com.au/
Look out for reciples by Ellie in ISSUE #5 to be released 1 December!

No comments:

Post a Comment